You don't need much to meditate, but if you want to improve your meditation practice, there are a few things you could use. These items can make you feel comfortable, help you relax, and minimize distractions.
1. Something to sit on - there are several options for something to sit on during your meditation. Try to find one that works the best for you, because if your position is too comfortable you can lose your alertness and fall asleep, an uncomfortable position will keep you alert, but at the expense of your comfort.
- A chair or a couch is a good option if you have problems with your back or legs. If you are new to meditation using a chair the first few times can help you sit more comfortably and ease your way into practice.
- A meditation cushion is also a comfortable way to sit in an upright position. It will help you stay more alert and focused during your meditation.
- If you find the chair or meditation cushion too uncomfortable, it's worth giving the meditation bench a try. One of the benefits of using a meditation bench is that you won't have the urge to slump as you do on a chair.
- A meditation blanket or an oversized meditation shawl can be used to practice meditation in a meditation pose or yoga posture. Another benefit is when you are sitting on the floor, a cushion or a blanket will help you prop your hips up higher than your knees to take the pressure off them. This is the best way to achieve a perfect state of alertness for focused, deep meditation.
2.Something to wear - meditation shawls also known as prayer shawls are large shawls worn during meditations. Practitioners from different religions and spiritual traditions have used meditation shawls. I use my shawl to cover my head, shoulders when I meditate. It feels so nice when I wrap myself up in a warm shawl.
My Favorite Meditation Tool
- When you wear a shawl it will hold the energy accumulated during your meditation.
- If your body tends to cool down during meditation, especially during longer meditations, your shawl will keep your body warm.
- It will help you keep your mind focused.
I recommend using shawls made of natural fabrics, such as sheep wool, angora wool, yak wool, or silk.